Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A bit of dinner therapy

My mom has always said that you should make bread when you're angry because you can get all your aggression out while kneading the dough. Tonight I found out that there are lots of ways to take out aggression.

I had a conversation this afternoon that made me want to tear my hair out. My friend asked me four times if I was okay ("Because you really sound like you're down") before concluding that I was mad at her. That I could have dealt with, but the pity that went along with it was too much.

I got off the phone feeling all twitchy. I needed do be doing something. Something that wouldn't let me think. So after a bit of Wii Fit boxing (seemed like a good remedy), I decided I needed some cooking therapy.

I decided that some chard and squash enchiladas sounded like a great way to use up my acorn squash, my plethora of corn tortillas and all that frustration.

After banging a squash on the counter to cut it, smashing 6 cloves of garlic to smithereens, hacking some chard into ribbons and letting the onion be an excuse for leaking a few tears I was feeling much better. (There was also an incident with mishandled peppers, but I'll tell that story with a later recipe) My troubles melted away into the smell of cooking onions.

The only problem left now was a dirty pan from last night's dinner.

So my enchiladas became tacos. And tonight's dish was born.

Chard and Acorn Squash Soft Tacos

1/2 small acorn squash *

1/2 medium onion
Sprinkle of sugar
4 cloves of garlic (squished like crazy)*
1/2-1 chipotle, chopped and squished into a paste (the kind that was stored in adobo sauce)*
1/2 lb. chard (washed, stems cut out and leaves hacked into lovely ribbons)*

4-6 corn tortillas
Enchilada sauce (recipe to come later) or taco sauce
Sour Cream

Put the acorn squash cut side down on a greased sheet pan and cook it in a 350 degree oven until its squishy enough for a knife to pass through easily (and not just because its a super sharp knife that could cut through a boot without loosing its edge). I'm gonna say this takes 20 minutes, but I can't exactly say I was paying attention.

Let the squash cool a bit and then peel off the skin and dice as small as you feel you need to (mine were kinda big chunks because it was still really hot)

Film a large saucepan or high-sided skillet with a little oil and place over medium heat. Add the onions, a little salt and that sprinkle of sugar. Cook the onions slowly until the onions get a nice golden color (not browned, no crunchy bits--you want the onions soft and caramelized).

Add the garlic and chipotle and cook for a minute, then add the damp chard. Stir. Cook until the chard has wilted and softened to a texture you actually want to eat.

Add the squash chunks and stir everything around.

Taste to make sure its spicy enough/salty enough/delicious enough for your tastes.

To serve, put a large spoonful of the chard/squash mixture on a warmed corn tortilla, drizzle on some sauce and a dollop of sour cream.

*Feel free to use the food prep time as time to get out all your aggressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment